David Silverman, Attorney & Counselor At Law, LLC
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Address: 4 Inverness Court East, Suite 100, Englewood, CO 80112
General Counsel, Board Member & Chief Executive Officer
Highly accomplished senior executive and board member with more than 33 years of success in business management, legal counsel, advocacy, problem solving and dispute resolution, politics and public policy, credit and accounts receivable management, regulatory affairs, and debt purchases. Extensive experience advising across a broad range of industries, including finance, construction, auto leasing, distribution, manufacturing, compliance, insurance, utility damages, and professional services industries. Detail-oriented with the ability to “see around corners” and capitalize on both current and emerging trends.
Critical Leadership Initiatives
- Established law firm in 1983, expanding business through addition of product lines, and building key relationships with clients including Citicorp Credit Services Inc., HSBC, Bank of America, Discover Financial Services, Capital One Bank and Auto Finance, and Barclays.
- Seasoned Board Member with four organizations.
- Led successful turnaround and restructuring initiative following $1 million fiduciary issue in 2008, managing to double productivity with a 50%staff reduction and rebranding the company.
- Launched Colorado Creditor Bar Association in 2011, serving as Founding President for initial three years, and collaborating extensively with Congressional leadership to drive initiatives within creditors’ rights arena.
- CEO / Owner & General Counsel, David Silverman, Attorney & Counselor at Law, LLC 2014 to Present: Leverages more than 3 decades of experience as an entrepreneur, business owner, attorney, and thought leader to serve as outside General Counsel, Board Member, and mentor to small and mid-market businesses.
- Advises clients in the areas of strategic planning, rainmaking, advocacy, client relations, public and governmental policy, and project management, while simultaneously providing traditional legal services, advice and counsel.
- Provides legal counsel, solution-oriented executive leadership, and Board of Director guidance to assist clients with charting future courses tailored to their unique industry needs, employing communication and conflict resolution skills, minimizing distractions and maintaining focus on goal execution.
- Specializes in business turnaround and B2B credit and accounts receivable management, focusing on cash flow management, lifecycle account management, and the development of tailored regulatory compliance programs for the consumer financial services industry, working closely with executive management teams to customize processes around unique business requirements.
- CEO / Owner, Visionaries Inc. (Vision Recoveries) 1999 to Present: Founded company to purchase charged-off debt, purchasing debt on national scale and bringing in lawyers from around the country to participate in buying pools.
- Business consulting services to enable executives to move company to the next level, including change management strategies, problem solving, and margin step-up solutions.
- Founding President, Colorado Credit Bar Association - 2011 to 2014
- Founded organization to establish a state-level association of creditors’ rights counsel, specifically to serve constituency’s educational and political requirements.
- Established the vision and mission of the Association to draw from the collective experience and insights of its members, sharing best practices and strengthening the industry through fortification of individual members and bolstering of individual careers.
- Co-Owner / Managing Member, Silverman / Borenstein PLLC - 2010 to 2014
- Absorbed smaller local law firm into existing Silverman Law Firm, P.C. executing growth, expansion and ultimate exit strategy.
- Expanded business through addition of further product lines and business offerings, including subrogation, foreclosure, commercial and international practice areas.
- Built a national collection practice holding agency licenses in 48 states.
- CEO / Owner, Silverman Law Firm PC -1983 to 2010: Founded law firm specializing in litigation, real estate, trial work, creditors rights, regulatory compliance, commercial & consumer accounts receivable management, and collections.
- Firm established in CA in 1983, moved to CO in 1995, subsequent expansion to WY & NM.
- Developed a Wall Street brand clientele base including Citicorp Credit Services Inc., Diners Club, HSBC, Wells Fargo Financial Services, MBNA, Discover Financial Services, Capital One Bank and Capital One Auto Finance, Bank of America, Barclays Bank, Encore Capital Group (Stock Sym: ECPG), Professional Recoveries Associates, LLC (Stock Sym: PRAA) World Wide Asset Management, Hanover Insurance, and Arcadia Financial.
- Executive Director, First Mediation Corporation (FMC), Rocky Mountain Region: 1995 - 1998
- Director of the Rocky Mountain Region of mediation company at the forefront of the Alternative Dispute Resolution Movement, centered on collaborative problem solving and interest based bargaining.
- Judge Pro Tem, Los Angeles County Municipal & Small Claims Court: 1990 – 1994
- Judge Pro Tem for Los Angeles County Municipal and Small Claims Court. Volunteer position giving back to the community as a whole and the legal community in particular. Volunteer judicial positions are critical to ensuring access to the justice system for all persons in the community, regardless of social or economic standing.
- Associate Attorney & Law Clerk L2 & L3, Lederer & Kotler, Century City, CA 1980 to 1983
- Corporate organization, commercial, equipment and automobile finance and leasing, litigation, transaction and judgment enforcement.
- Loyola Law School – Juris Doctorate, 1982
- California State University, Northridge, B.A. Psychology, 1978
Boards & Advisory
- Founders Bay Technologies, Inc. - Advisory Board, 2017 - Present
- Turnaround Management Association Board of Directors 2017 – Present
- Strategic Trusted Advisors Roundtable: Board of Directors 2017 – Present
- Colorado Creditor Bar Association – President & BOD 2011-2014
- National Association of Retail Collection Attorneys – Board of Directors, 2 Terms
Honors & Awards
- The National Attorney Network Operational Excellence Award, 2007
- Citibank Stellar Performance Award, 2006
- The National Collection Attorney Network Café Award, 2005
- National Collection Attorney Network 2nd Place, Gross Revenue Generation, 2005
- National Collection Attorney Network 3rd Place, Gross Revenue Generation, 2004
- Great Seneca Financial Corporation 3rd Place, Gross Revenue Generation, 2004
- Published Opinion - National Relations Labor Board v FMG Industries, etc. et.al., 820F.2d289 (1987)9th Circuit Court of Appeals, Appearing En Banc, Prevailing Counsel for Defendants on Appeal - Publisher - https://www.linkedin.com/groups/6706003
- Author – “What Do the Election Results Mean for the CFPB? “You’re Fired”
- Author – “What Creditors Need to Know About How the Latest CFPB Orders are Transforming the Consumer Collection Industry (2016)
- Author – “Making Cash Flow – Accounts Receivable Management “ (2016)
- Author – “Collecting Money in the New Era....It’s a Whole New Ballgame” (2016)
- Author - “Your Compliance Management System Can Make You Money - Your CMS is a Profit Center – Not a Cost” (2015)
- Featured Interview – SubPrime auto Finance News "With Latest CFPB Rule Announced, What Next?" (2015)
- Author – “A Modest Regulatory Proposal” (2015)
- Author – Series of Articles for AutoTrader.com (2015) AutoTrader.com (2015)
- Author – “The CFPB & the Auto Finance World” (2014)
- Author – “The Great Audit Debate: Internal Vs Independent Auditors (2014)
- Featured Interview - Law Week Colorado Cover Story - “What’s The Allure Of Colorado’s Small Firms?” Law Week Colorado (2014)
- Author – “The Missing Compliance Management Pieces: Risk Assessment & Auditing” Non-Prime Times - National Automotive Finance Association Publication
- Speaker – Making Cash Flow…An Integrated Solution (2016)
- Speaker/Instructor – Negotiation Techniques
- Speaker - NAF Association 20th Annual Non-Prime Auto Financing Conference, “What Creditors Need to Know About How the Latest CFPB Orders are Transforming the Consumer Collection Industry.” (2016)
- Speaker –Colorado Independent Automobile Dealers Association (CIADA) “Your Compliance Management System Can Make You Money - Your CMS is a Profit Center – Not a Cost” (2015)
- Speaker – “Regulatory Compliance – Credit Reporting and the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau” National Vehicle Leasing Association, National Conference, Phoenix AZ (2015)
- Speaker – “Regulatory Compliance and Accounts Receivables Management” (2015)
- National Webinar Presentation - National Association of Subrogation Attorneys, National Conference & Continuing Education Seminars, Paris, Las Vegas, - Webinar Repeat Performance (2013)
- Speaker – “Buried Treasure – Recovery of Dormant Judgments...and Beyond” (2012)
- Keynote Speaker - Process Server Summit – Inaugural event addressing self-regulation of the process serving industry (2012)
- Speaker – The National Association of Subrogation Attorneys, Colorado Chapter. Chapter Meeting & Continuing Education Seminar, Lakewood, CO: Vehicle Subrogation from a Lawyer’s Perspective with a Focus on Maximizing Collections (2012)
- Speaker - “Alternative Dispute Resolution: Beyond The Basics” Arapahoe County Bar Association Program for Professional Education (1997)
- Speaker – “Mediation Has A Place in Our Collection Activity” The National Association of Retail Collection Attorneys (NARCA) Bi-Annual Convention (1996)
Affiliations - Participation or Membership
- American Bar Association
- Colorado Bar Association
- Arapahoe County Bar Association
- California Bar Association
- ACG Association of Corporate Growth, Corporate Affairs Outreach Committee 2016
- ACG Rocky Mountain Corporate Growth Conference Committee 2016
- ACG Membership Committee 2016
- TMA Turnaround Management Association Membership Committee 2016
- Chair –TMA Rebranding Outreach 2016
- NVLA National Vehicle Leasing Association
- NABD National Association of Buy Here Pay Here Dealers
- NIADA National Independent Automobile Dealers Association
- NAF National Automotive Finance Association
- Royal Media Group Annual Automotive Industry Conferences
- NARCA National Association of Retail Collection Attorneys
- DBA International Debt Buyers Association
- ACA International American Collectors Association
- AFSA America Financial Services Association
- IACC International Association of Commercial Collectors
Licenses & Certification
- Colorado Supreme Court, State Bar of Colorado
- California Supreme Court, State Bar of California
- US Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- US District Court/Bankruptcy Court for the District of Colorado
- US District Court for the Central District of California
- Certified Mediator